January 1, 2009

eye camp, last day in jalandhar


Friends on bus trip i met


dilpreet killing me when i got my teeth out
The 21st we left Jalandhar at 5 AM for Rajpura, Himachal which was 2 ½ hrs away. The camp site was located in a beautiful temple. Where we meet the high priest, and all the people bow down and touch his feet with there head. They fed us delicious breakfast and gifted us all shawls. Because Im a foreigner they always treat me the best as well as stare at me the whole time im there. We started OPD doing BP, sugar test, vision, and tension. But than I sadly had to leave at noon, Surrith and I drove 21 kilometers to Kalka where I was going to pick up my bus to Simla. Because the road was in such bad condition, part of the road was not paved others were bumpy huge pot holes where your whole vehicle fit into while dodging the motorcycles and cows, it took us 1 ½ hrs to reach. The bus was just stopping for gas here in Kalka so I had to hurry and load all of my belongings into the bus storage but you always have to be careful because people just take your things here in India. There was one spot available all the way in the back God was looking out for me I was thankful for my one spot. I was sitting in the middle of two young couples that knew each other. We all started talking and they were very nice wanted to know everything about America, shared there food with me. There from Delhi all 20 yrs old in school except one just graduated and started working. They were coming to shimla for 1 day to sight see, 3 of them had never been up here so this was there first ex that knew each other. We all started talking and they were very nice wanted to know everything about America, shared there food with me. There from Delhi all 20 yrs old in school except one just graduated and started working. They were coming to shimla for 1 day to sight see, 3 of them had never been up here so this was there first experience on the curvy twisty roads and it did not settle with them so they were throwing up the whole trip I felt so bad. Of course they were all in secret doing this because there parents don’t allow them to date because they are to be arranged marriage but they all have hope that they can convince the parents other wise, I have great respect for these people who want to stand up for themselves no matter what the consequences are it’s a hard thing to go against your family here in india. When we reached simla there was a horde of taxi drivers wanting to drive me but someone from the hospital was going to pick me up. And you wont believe it because I was the last to get off the bus someone had taken my pillow and in side was Bob my stuffed monkey. Serves me right for not looking after my things properly. I don’t like traveling by myself in india because its not safe for a lone foreign female to travel alone so thankfully God put these four amazing people in my path for a reason, they stayed with me until lucky came and helped me with my four bags minus a pillow and stuffed monkey and we walked up to the hospital. Hopefully I will get to meet these people again during my travels of india.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mindy...........I've been checking your blog frequently and haven't found any new entries......I have been checking with your parents on recent Sabbaths and they tell me that you haven't been near a computer and are just busy, busy, busy.....I also learned last week that they were coming for a ten day visit at the end of March. What a joyful day that will be when you and your parents come together. They did say that you all were touring so much joyful times again. I hope and pray that you have stayed well and have stored your life experiences in your personal journal then.... when you have a minute you can catch this audience up on everything. Well that is all and of course my prayers continue for you and your team as you do His will in India......
love.........GramDixie