January 1, 2009

christmas program in Jalandhar

Friday the 12th the church choir put on a Christmas program. In india normal workers don’t know how to read notes so they just sing what they want its so funny. Kerry and Kevin the missionaries from South Korea are in the choir and they are the only ones singing the right note because they can read them its so funny. But you don’t even think about that because the choir sings with such passion it over shadows that. And of course they have an Indian accent so some of the words are pronounced differently, but they did an amazing job. They decorated the church fancy for Christmas and the females wore bright blue robes while the gentlemen wore dark suits, they all looked very sharp. Before you go into the church you have to take your shoes off in respect, so I did this as I usually do and than when you come out of the church its always clustered with people putting there shoes on, but this was a different night for me. I went out of the church to look for my Punjabi shoes (jotties) that I had just bought two weeks ago which was its own adventure because im foreign so all the shop keepers give me a more expensive price for everything. I had to go to 7 stores till I found a fair shop keeper to let me buy them for the normal price of 150 Rs. One store wanted me to pay 1500 Rs. can you believe the inflation. So you can see how much I had to go through to get these gorgeous jotties that I love and when I go out side to put them on you wont believe but they were not there. I was like where are they? Did one of my friends hide them? No, sadly someone I think by accident took mine instead of theirs because I waited there till everyone was gone and this pair of dirty, old, used jotties were left. Everyone could not believe that this happened they said this is the first time this has ever happened and they all felt so bad. So I waited till next week to see if the person the maybe by accident took them would bring them back when they realized they took the wrong ones in the dark. But sadly with no luck they were not brought back so I lost my jotties, all I hope is that the person that took them really needed them more than me. That same night Praven the business manager of the hospital invited all of the bachelors and spinsters over to his house for dinner after vespers. Now in the states spinster is a derogatory term, but in india it is not it means the same as bachelors just and unmarried woman nothing being wrong with it. So I had to clarify with Praven before I came about this, he thought it was funny. There was around ten of us there ranging from 19-33 plus one married man viraj which is older than us but did not want to be left out. We all had a good time eating delicious Indian food made by praven mom and socialized.

No comments: