May 22, 2009

The Golden Triangle

My Parents came to visit me finally. I have missed them and everything from America very much. I went to Delhi by bus the day before their flight came in. I arrived at the airport dressed in a “salwar kameez” a typical Indian outfit waiting impatiently for their arrival. While I was waiting for them to come out of customs I kept seeing all these foreigners except my parents I was getting a little stir crazy. I finally saw them coming down and I started crying I could not stop I was so happy to see them. My mom did not even recognize me at first she had to do a double take. Everyone around us must have thought we were a silly sight but it did not bother me one bit I was to ecstatic to see my family! The following day I introduced my parents to a typical north Indian breakfast: curd (yogurt) and aloo paratha (potato between flat bread). Not sure if they would want to eat this every morning like Indians do but they seemed to like it. We found our selves an auto rickshaw that took us around for two days to see the forts, monuments, gardens, temples, museums and had an amazing time. Delhi is very rich in history and culture its an experience you don’t want to miss. We over paid our rickshaw driver so he would not leave us. He kept taking us to his “uncles” shops, places we did not want to go but had to since he was driving us that’s the only downside to Indian drivers. We than rented a vehicle to take us to Agra and than Jaipur the other two cities that constitute the golden triangle. We saw the Taj Mahal at sunset on the beach where I got to ride a camal, a very memorable ride. Following day we visited the Taj Mahal for 4 hours it was the most majestic thing I have ever seen, all three of us were mesmerized and did not want to leave. So we paid a tour guide to tell us about the history and it’s a tragic love story with death and imprisonment. We continued on our journey to Jaipur the “pink city.” We rode an elephant saw the red fort and had a tour guide us through the city. And than we took a flight to shimla to see where I have been staying for my time in india. They saw the hospital and met the staff, and mom and I went on a horse ride up a mountain which was so cool. Over all we had a great trip and I was so thankful that my parents came. They took in lots of Indian food, culture, history, lifestyle for a short trip. Its something that I will never forget for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mindi,

Glad to hear that you are doing well and Patty and Jr got to see you.
Rita and I just took a Southern Indian cooking class and are really enjoying that type of food. In fact I am having eggplant marsala for lunch with a tomatoe, cucumber and yogurt salad Stay well and keep on blogging.

Love,
Walt and Rita Tyler

gram and grandpa said...

Hi Mindy
I love to keep up with your adventure - I can't wait to hear you tell us all about it. I'm counting the days until you return to USA
love you

Mindy J said...

walt did you know that the english word for eggplant is "bringle" in india, little trivia for u, it took me a little bit to get use to a new name. thats great im glad u guys are loving the food, i do.
And Gram i am counting the days as well...23 more days!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mindy,
We have enjoyed your blog and pictures. Thanks for keeping us updated in all your adventures. We have been praying for God to be with you every step of the way and your safe return. We look forward to seeing you Thanksgiving.
Love,
Uncle Larry and Aunt Linda