October 23, 2008

Basically India is very different from the US in every possible way. Everywhere i go people stare at me its so funny, but i cant look back becuase in this culture only prostitutes look men in the eye. So this is something that i am trying to get use to becuase in the US your taught to look into someones eyes of your weak. Thankfully most of the circles im going with are christian so they dont live by this. Another thing that drives me crazy is that everyone just throws there trash out in the street so there is garabage everywhere, there is no where in india that does not have trash lying around. So when ever i see someone that im with about to throw trash out the window or on the floor i try to stop them first but its built in to them to throw everything on the floor. Spitting and picking your nose is a normal thing here as well every other minute you will hear or see some one spit everywhere. And driving here is an art for sure. you drive at top speeds and pass the horse drawn carts, the rickshaws bicycle or otto, trackters carring rocks or dirt, motorcylces with a family of four on it. The drivers are amazing here with how they drive in these conditions i would never want to drive becuase its a skill of reaction that i dont have for sure. Dr. viraj and i traveled from simla to jalandahar where im going to voulunteer my services indefintaly for a while because we dont have medical camp for a while. We took a very rustic public transportation bus let me give you a picture its a very old bus with ratty seats close together stuffed to the brim with all kinds of different people and when there is no more room inside they sit on top its so scary i always think there going to fly off becuase the drivers drive crazy fast on the twisty moutain roads dodging other vehicles, animals, falling rocks from the landslides. I would never want to drive here it takes alot of skill and good reaction time. I love how everyone in India is so caring they look out forevery one even stangers. If someone needs something they will give what little they have and offer it. These people are so generous and thankful for everything. They also have so much faith and belief, there are so many different types of religions here its amazing how devoute they are in what they believe in. They are always thinking of others and how to help out. We also took a second bus here which was on the opposite spectrum it was the nicest bus i have ever been on much nicer than alot in the US. It was called a deluxe bus only 175 ruppes which is around 4 dollars for an AC, recline seats, and a TV playing movies. This is traveling in style for sure. Im staying in the hospital where they are giving me delicious peanut butter at my meals its hard to find in the north of india and i was craving it and they were so nice to find some for me. Im volunteering in the eye department indefintaly becuase there is no medical camp with shimla right now. Im asissting dr. jacobs and dr. viraj while im here learning all i can about opthamology. We have camps every sunday in surrounding villages where we have sponsors from the US or the UK that pay for all the expenses for these people that would not get any help other wise. I really love it here in india and the people i have met are so amazing i hope that i will always remember the experiences i have here and the lives that have touched me so.

8 comments:

Summer Wind said...

Hi Mindy,
It sounds like a wonderful experience you are having. Keep up your spirits. you are a very special woman.
Dick and Elle on the Summer Wind

Anonymous said...

Mindy,
I am so happy you are having such a good time. You will remember this for the rest of your life so experience it to the fullest!
Love,
Jordana

Barbara said...

Mindy,
Everything you say about India is true! I found it to be an amazing and at the same time crazy place!
Enjoy every minute.
Love,
Mom Delaney

Margie said...

Hi Mindy,

I am glad that you are there safe in India. It sounds like your have having a wonderful experience.

I am very proud of you!

Love ya lots,
Ms. Margie

Margie said...

It is me again, oops, grammar error.

...sounds like you are...........

;)

gram said...

Hey, kiddo
Sounds like you are experiencing life to the fullest. I hope that all of your encounters are enriching and loving. Keep up the good work. I am a little envious of your ability to adapt to what comes your way.
love to you
gram and grandpa

Anonymous said...

Princess Mindy,

I miss you so much it's not the same here with out you helping me out with probs. But it sounds like you are haveing an amazing time. I will try and get a letter to you, if I can find a address to send it to. And some money for you and for you get get me a key chain. Well I need to go study. Miss you much Princess. Don't change to much ok.

Kelsey

Unknown said...

Dear Mindy,

Talk about reality TV! Your description had me right there so close I could feel the experience. As you know, I am an Indian movie fan and many of them depict life exactly as you are seeing it. What an education!
So happy that you are fulfilling a dream that God will bless you with for all your life. In fact, you could be another Mother Theresa in the making.
Let us know if there is anything we can send you for your needs or the hospital's.
Love,
Mrs. Marshalleck